Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Psalm 130: Hope in the Lord every New Day


Psalm 130
A song for pilgrims ascending to Jerusalem.

1 From the depths of despair, O Lord,
I call for your help.
2 Hear my cry, O Lord.
Pay attention to my prayer.

3 Lord, if you kept a record of our sins,
who, O Lord, could ever survive?
4 But you offer forgiveness,
that we might learn to fear you.

5 I am counting on the Lord;
yes, I am counting on him.
I have put my hope in his word.
6 I long for the Lord
more than sentries long for the dawn,
yes, more than sentries long for the dawn.

7 O Israel, hope in the Lord;
for with the Lord there is unfailing love.
His redemption overflows.
8 He himself will redeem Israel
from every kind of sin.

Psalm 130

American culture and even those around the world await the moment when a single ball drops celebrating the end of one year and the beginning of a new one. This new year celebrates causes many to gather around with drinks in hand to celebrate, possibly kiss loved ones at the precise moment of midnight, and overall give hope to a coming year. Our world is broken so year after year it makes good sense for us to look forward and make resolutions to make a better year. But as a believer in Jesus our King, we know our real hope is not in the changing of the calendar but in the Lord.
Nothing much is going to change between December 31st and January 1st without a serious commitment to the Lord and His work in your life. There is nothing He would like more than to bless you, walk with you, and use you in His great plan on this earth. When we walk according to His will we find perfect peace, so it is in His will we place our hope. Turning the pages on the calendar means nothing more than a moment when you can make a promise to yourself about being more productive in the year ahead. Place your hope in the Lord just as the soldiers long for the dawn, and morning birds wait for sunrise.
Promises are good and should be made and kept. At the beginning of each day, not just the New Year we should be committing the day to the Lord. When we find ourselves engrossed in every Word of the Truth we find joy. Yes His message is convicting and desires to change us from within. I find my faith grows when I read the Word for as He makes apparent the things in my life He desires to change I find it evidence of His present work in me. Prepare not just to make a promise to yourself for the New Year but renew this day your soul to the purpose He has designed you for in this present age.

No comments: