Friday, August 19, 2016

Back to School Night


       Woke up this morning with an incredible feeling of joy and purpose as I set out toward my second grade teaching assignment. Throughout the day I was busy in meetings going over procedures and other important essentials for me to know. All the while thankful and thinking about how exciting it is to be in this new place and in a great school.
      All the tables were ready in groups, greetings written on the dry erase board, and I anxiously awaited my first students to arrive. I put out little gold fish crackers and a note to welcome them “o’fishly to the second grade! I even put on some ocean sounds for the back ground and had my power point introduction slides I made back in my Media class. All things were ready and set to go!
      That is when the little ones started to arrive. All over the school kids running around meeting new teachers, hugging previous teachers, and carrying loads of school supplies everywhere. Then my first student showed up. And another. And it gave me great joy to introduce myself as their teacher and welcome them to the classroom. It dawned on me all at once with great joy all these little ones are going to be there next week waiting for me to teach them! For the first time it all suddenly felt real and amazing all at once.
       This is the place of ministry the Lord has chosen. I say that because when I tell people my background I want it to be aware any job for a believer in Jesus is meant to be a ministry position. It makes it all the more exciting and gives me great responsibility.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come. II Corinthians 5:17

       First my identity will be in Him, as a husband, father, and teacher but over all a believer in Him. So tonight was amazing. I realize no matter how much you work at it, being really ready to receive kids into the classroom can seem like an enormous adventure. It is, and truly this is the beginning of the year so anything can happen. We just need to hold on to tonight and look forward to what is ahead. 

No comments: