Monday, October 10, 2016

When we said I Do

Hour hand on the one and the minute hand on the fourteen, but the clock itself was still. Time it seemed had frozen in that very moment on the afternoon of June fourteenth two thousand and three. I stood at the top of the altar in a little church north of town. I was breathing slowly, waiting patiently, for this moment. I had waited for this moment since I met her.

She appeared in her flowing white gown as beautiful as she always is. In that single moment I was struck by the awe and wonder of the moment. I asked her to marry me and she said yes. It was simple and yet truly the most amazing moment. And here she was walking down the aisle with purple flower pedals and scented candles everywhere. Our guests lining both sides of the church watching with joy as we prepared to say our vows.

I remember so vividly how she looked that day and how everything else faded in the room at the sight of her walking toward me. My heart was racing. My thoughts trailing back to the first time I saw her in the airport several years before. My head was racing with memories rereading her email she sent me wanting to make a new friend, and all the emails since. We waited anxiously for this moment where our two lives would become one. Together we would be complete.

I think back now at that day as still one of the moment joyful moments of my life. Since then of course there have been many other great moments including the births of our children. As I reflect upon our wedding day though I can treasure each moment and keep it close to my heart for eternity. I remember feeling the huge amount of reasonability I now had and how it all felt like second nature. It was truly second nature to love her, it had been since I met her. Loving her comes as natural to me as breathing our and breathing in. She truly makes my day begin. Not a day will go by where I am not thankful she said I do, forevermore.


No comments: