Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Psalm 17:18

Yesterday we had a large tree limb fall onto our house. The damage is not to bad, a few small holes in the roof but thankfully nothing more. No one got hurt which is the important thing. We have someone coming out later to do some tree trimming so they will take care of it from there. Too bad i don't have a fireplace! Oh well, on with the day now. I pray the Lord will be with you in every way.

David

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep me as the apple of the eye;
    Hide me in the shadow of Your wings
Psalm 17:18

The Psalmist knew what it meant to cherish something with absolute devotion and love. Within the midst of this love there is protection and security. This verse speaks to the awesome presence of the Lord and how He sees His children. I understood this very well when I first held my new baby girl and looked into her eyes. From that moment on, she has been the apple of my eye. There would be nothing I would not do to show my love and to protect her. It is the same kind of feeling you have when getting married, and you pledge your life to your partner. 

We are kept close to him, so close as to be under the shadow of His wings. Now of course ‘wings’ here is taken to be a symbol of God’s ultimate presence and power, protecting His people. I believe it also might allude to the Ark of the Covenant and Seat of Mercy where the two Cherubim sit with their wings stretched out over the Ark. That is the place where the glory of the Lord rests, and that is where He holds us close. 


The Psalms are good to read whenever we need comfort in our despair. God meets us in the pages of this book where we really are and should meet Him. David here is crying out for protection from his enemies. God does indeed keep us as the apple of His eye. He hides us in the shadow of our wings. He loves you.

No comments: