Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Psalm 17:8-15

I drift off to sleep in just a few moments here and before i do my last prayers will be for you. That you grow and continue to learn more of our Lord. He is great and mighty. I will ask for Him to bless you with grace and peace and more knowledge of Him. And i thank Him for you my friends. 

----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep me as the apple of your eye; 
      hide me in the shadow of your wings 
from the wicked who assail me, 
      from my mortal enemies who surround me. 
They close up their callous hearts, 
      and their mouths speak with arrogance. 
They have tracked me down, they now surround me, 
      with eyes alert, to throw me to the ground. 
They are like a lion hungry for prey, 
      like a great lion crouching in cover. 
Rise up, O LORD, confront them, bring them down; 
      rescue me from the wicked by your sword. 
O LORD, by your hand save me from such men, 
      from men of this world whose reward is in this life. 
      You still the hunger of those you cherish; 
      their sons have plenty, 
      and they store up wealth for their children. 
And I—in righteousness I will see your face; 
      when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.
Psalm 17:8-15

Often I wonder what David might have been facing during the days he wrote these Psalms. There are so many events we could imagine relating to this message and others. Certainly he was in desperation for the Lord in this passage and knew there were great enemies. But how much greater is our God!

When all things seem to get lost in the midst of your life, you and I can turn to the Word for help. We can turn to our Lord for wisdom and peace any moment. It is through righteousness that we can be in His presence. Not anything that we have done, but what He has done for us that we can be with Him. 

Like the Psalmist our greatest struggles come when we are laying awake staring into the sky wondering what life is all about and where our purpose is. We face lions, and great fears. But our Lord stands guard over our lives with His love and power. He is a God of both strength and power! He is my God. 

No comments: