Friday, October 05, 2012

Planting the acorns


A seed planted today will yield much fruit tomorrow…. If it sounds like a thought for the day calendar, that is because it’s the one above our toilet seat. It’s a strategically placed little book of notes for each day to remind myself of wisdom and good solid truth. This specific one I read this morning brought to remembrance a stroll I took a few days ago in our backyard.

Our whole yard is honestly big enough to tear down our house build two houses, which would be a great real estate investment if I had the resources. Our house is in the middle of the two lots and gives us a great deal of yard space. So we divided the yard space with a fence so as to keep the children from running too far away and leaving room growth later. Right now the only growth is extended weeds and bushes.

Under one of the aged trees are several dozen acorns and tiny holes scattered all over the ground. The squirrels have been busy this season storing the little food away for the winter months ahead. Makes me think we might be in for a harsher season than last year. Animals seem to be better with knowing these things ahead of time then us humans. Still the acorns were dropping right into the holes as I walked along in my usual tired prayerful state while the children played.

Those little acorns get buried in the ground scattered all over in order to keep the tiny animals with plenty of options for eating later down the road. They crack open and sprout so no one has to remember where they stored their nuts. You could just see them popping up when you needed them. Do you see where I am getting to the point here about the seeds?
All of us have seeds to sow, those of kind words, mercy, encouragement. Jesus even told us that on hill when he said, “blessed are those who show mercy for they will receive mercy”. It is a simple and yet obvious and somehow missed principle. We can all agree but we do not always follow through on what we know to be true.

So now I am thinking my entire life is full of planting opportunities. My current role as stay at home dad and daycare provider is a major source of seed planting. The things I sow into the children now will develop later on in their lives. So if I give them encouragement, love, respect, honestly, these are the things they will learn. Now is the time to teach social skills, teach them how to work together, and give them all the love the Lord has given to me. With the winter approaching, now is the time to plant for the harvest is near.

No comments: