Friday, October 05, 2012

Psalm 119:161-168


Shin

161 Powerful people harass me without cause,
but my heart trembles only at your word.
162 I rejoice in your word
like one who discovers a great treasure.
163 I hate and abhor all falsehood,
but I love your instructions.
164 I will praise you seven times a day
because all your regulations are just.
165 Those who love your instructions have great peace
and do not stumble.
166 I long for your rescue, Lord,
so I have obeyed your commands.
167 I have obeyed your laws,
for I love them very much.
168 Yes, I obey your commandments and laws
because you know everything I do.
Psalm 119:161-168

Rulers of this world deserve a certain level of respect despite our opinions of their political views. It is these Kings, Queens, and Presidents who after all run the countries and in turn allow the world to work and function, even if not always the best way. Here the Psalmist shows his reverence for the Word of God and how much greater respect His Word deserves over any earthly authority.

If anyone of us were to by chance have an encounter with the President of our country, would we not show at least a little respect? I believe we would, just as we do with celebrities if by chance we come across them, those people who this world holds up on golden alters. Yet who are any of them compared to His Word. Yet it is His Word which becomes a daily thing to get read so we can say we did it for the day. It is His Word which sits on our dashboard till weekly services. His Word which should be read more often now than ever since it is available now more than ever, is not. It’s the message the Psalmist has been teaching ever since the first sentence, above all, His Word.
Long for His truth more than any other earthly pleasure, and desire Him more than any pleasant thing. Enjoy life, live just as the Lord has made you to live, but never neglect His Truth and His Law. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law and he is the personification of what love is, this should tell us how good it is for us to know Him and His Word. Seek Him first over and above all things, the more you do the more respect you show to the one who is truly worthy.

No comments: