Wednesday, July 18, 2007

John 17:22-25

And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
John 17:22-25

Treasure these words of Jesus to the Father, for it’s a prayer of intercession on behalf of all of us. Here and in the previous verses we have our Lord giving us the same benefits he shares with the Father. He asks for us to have life, security, separation from the world as well as a purpose in the world. He seeks that we be united with the Father just as he is. Most important our Lord seeks to have us filled with love.

The bridegroom is longing to be rejoined to His bride, in ways that go far beyond our imagination. I don’t think that even we could fathom how desperately he wants to be with us, to take us into his arms and remove us from all the unrest and sin we face daily. His great desire is for us to be with Him and I know he longs for this.

We are still in the world but we should be united with the world. Do not allow yourself to marry yourself to idols or the ways of this culture. Never let anything draw you away from the presence of the Almighty. Read the message of the Old Testament as it speaks of the Lord and his desire to take Israel under his refuge. He longs for the same with His church as well. So seek Him and read His word to discover not only how much your loved, but who it is who loves you eternally.


No comments: