Saturday, September 29, 2007

Psalm 13:1-6

I am always glad to see the weekend here at last. And this is the week of our State Fair which makes it even more fun. We always enjoy such events, though mostly just for the different craft stores and fair corn dogs. Anyway, it is fall now and almost October so its good to get out before it gets to cold to enjoy being out. I hope you have a good weekend my friend.

David
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 13:1-6

    O LORD, how long will you forget me? Forever?
    How long will you look the other way?
    How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
    with sorrow in my heart every day?
    How long will my enemy have the upper hand?
    Turn and answer me, O LORD my God!
    Restore the light to my eyes, or I will die.
    Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him!”
    Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall.
    But I trust in your unfailing love.
    I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
    I will sing to the LORD
    because he has been so good to me.

I read Psalms like this one and something just clicks inside of me. I have felt like that before. There is this great battle inside raging for my life and my heart. Like the Apostle Paul said, we often do the things we do not want to do while forgetting to do the things we know we should. Mankind has its greatest battle within itself. We all face this same issue and growing rather weary from it. All we feel as the torment of our tired souls and like the enemies are mocking us over and over again.

We should think of life as if we are running an important race. You keep running but you are growing more and more tired as you go. You feel as though your heart is going to jump out of your chest and if you fail everyone will just laugh at your failed attempts. You try so hard at something and it begins to feel as though God is not even really there with you. But as you grow throughout life you will find looking back that the Lord is the one who helped you past each hurdle when you always felt like giving up and quitting. 


This Psalmist felt defeated, as many of us do. But the striking thing is the last part of the Psalm. He reminds us of God’s unfailing love. He tells us to rejoice in the Lord because He has been good. In other words it is telling us to remember that fact. It is no theory. God has indeed been good to us. Even when it feels like our times are struggling hard. We cannot even imagine anything we can do. It is in our times when we feel defeated that we can trust in His unfailing love to be good to us. He always has and always will be there for us.

No comments: