Friday, September 21, 2012

Psalm 119:129-136


Pe

129 Your laws are wonderful.
No wonder I obey them!
130 The teaching of your word gives light,
so even the simple can understand.
131 I pant with expectation,
longing for your commands.
132 Come and show me your mercy,
as you do for all who love your name.
133 Guide my steps by your word,
so I will not be overcome by evil.
134 Ransom me from the oppression of evil people;
then I can obey your commandments.
135 Look upon me with love;
teach me your decrees.
136 Rivers of tears gush from my eyes
because people disobey your instructions.

Psalm 119:129-136

Grieving over the wickedness of the nation, and the desolation of mankind is a familiar topic in the Old Testament. Most of the prophets spent their days not only proclaiming God’s Word, but also his judgment if the people did not follow and obey. Jesus also wept over the city of Jerusalem knowing the coming destruction by the Romans. It is important for believers to desire for wickedness to cease so the coming judgment doesn’t also affect us all.

God is not an evil dictator or tyrant up in the heavens waiting to smite people. Take some time to study and read His Word and you will see what it is actually commanding people to do. It is all about loving people and loving God when you boil down all the other regulations and rules. The Law is about living a healthy lifestyle, eating good healthy food, and having good loving relationships with other people. When you really think about it, why wouldn’t people want to follow God’s law, just as the Psalmist has been saying in all of chapter 119?

When we read His wonderful Word our lives are changed and transformed. All of the old is done away and there is newness of life. Jesus empowers us with the gift of the Holy Spirit to do away with the sinful habits we once had. You cannot pick and choose which habits you would rather have. He desires to slowly, throughout our lifetime, change us more and more like Him. To be holy, to be pure, to be wonderful just as He is, should be our hearts desire. Weep over the wickedness of your country and your homeland, and pray the Lord will bring restoration and redemption to us all.

1 comment:

Phil Aguilar said...

I read that wonderful word as much as possible. It continues to transform my life everyday, and hopefully make me a better person and a better father.