Friday, September 14, 2012

Psalm 119:81-88

Kaph 81 I am worn out waiting for your rescue, but I have put my hope in your word. 82 My eyes are straining to see your promises come true. When will you comfort me? 83 I am shriveled like a wineskin in the smoke, but I have not forgotten to obey your decrees. 84 How long must I wait? When will you punish those who persecute me? 85 These arrogant people who hate your instructions have dug deep pits to trap me. 86 All your commands are trustworthy. Protect me from those who hunt me down without cause. 87 They almost finished me off, but I refused to abandon your commandments. 88 In your unfailing love, spare my life; then I can continue to obey your laws. Psalm 119:81-88 You are tired and worn down by the troubles of life, and in that moment you come to this passage with the same hunger as the Psalmist. When he writes you can feel the aching of his heart, for he calls out with the greatest of needs for the Lord to answer. His imagery of the wineskin is picturing one which has been left hanging over the fire and become cracked and blacked through the heat. In this way you come across the same kind of intensity from personal struggles. God’s treasured Word is always the answer to comfort us through times of struggle and trial. It also wants to be our friend and comrade during the days of joy and peace as well. Never set the Word of God on the bookshelf marked with a reminder to get down during depressing days. Think about how well eating healthy foods is going to do you after you have already become sick. It’s the daily practice of getting natural vitamins God has put in food which helps us be strong. So the Scripture must be a daily maintained as part of our life in the good and bad times. He wants His children to receive His unfailing love every day. The Lord is never going to be sitting on the throne of heaven whipping your tail for being undisciplined children. Yes He has to take us out of the game at times to train us and equip us with instruction and understanding, but it is for our benefit when He does. Hold onto the Word as your daily life giving flow of energy, peace, and strength. Then you can obey His laws and make it your goal to reveal His good work through you.

No comments: