Monday, September 17, 2012

Psalm 119:89-96- Keeping the Old

Lamedh 89 Your eternal word, O LORD, stands firm in heaven. 90 Your faithfulness extends to every generation, as enduring as the earth you created. 91 Your regulations remain true to this day, for everything serves your plans. 92 If your instructions hadn’t sustained me with joy, I would have died in my misery. 93 I will never forget your commandments, for by them you give me life. 94 I am yours; rescue me! For I have worked hard at obeying your commandments. 95 Though the wicked hide along the way to kill me, I will quietly keep my mind on your laws. 96 Even perfection has its limits, but your commands have no limit. Psalm 119:89-96 We forget way to often why the Old Testament Scriptures should not only be read, but studied. These are the books written and handed down by the generations from long ago who heard the voice of the Lord God and wrote His message for all mankind. His Word is eternal and speaks in the same way as it has for thousands of years. All of the New Testament authors used the Old in reference and for source material when preaching. Its importance has not ceased. So much of what we learn reading Genesis all the way through to the end of the prophets, is there for our instruction and guidance. Our Psalm explains that the Word not only brings commands but it brings hope and life. We may as ourselves how when it seems like there are ongoing lists of do’s and don’ts. Within each law is a message of salvation, or redemption and the need for a Messiah! We understand so much more about our Lord when we understand the curse of sin and His provision of life. Jesus our Savior and King of Israel desires for us to know Him. The Scriptures teach us about the ancestors of Israel, reveal promises made and kept throughout time, and give messages of joy and peace to those who obey and follow God with their whole heart. Keep the Word close to you at all times, build your life on its foundation, and you will not be shaken by the storms of this world.

No comments: