Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Psalm 119:97-104


Mem

97 Oh, how I love your instructions!
I think about them all day long.
98 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for they are my constant guide.
99 Yes, I have more insight than my teachers,
for I am always thinking of your laws.
100 I am even wiser than my elders,
for I have kept your commandments.
101 I have refused to walk on any evil path,
so that I may remain obedient to your word.
102 I haven’t turned away from your regulations,
for you have taught me well.
103 How sweet your words taste to me;
they are sweeter than honey.
104 Your commandments give me understanding;
no wonder I hate every false way of life.
Psalm 119:97-104

Three groups of people are missing out on the Word of Truth according to our Psalmist. He speaks of his enemies, his teachers, and the elders or ancients. Each of these both spend all their time either gaining new knowledge, writing new policies, or relishing in how well they are doing opposed to who used to be in charge. Sounds like today’s political arena really, and even more disturbing is how much it sounds like today’s church.

Our heads can take a lot of knowledge and gain a great deal of understanding over the years. We are created to be creative and designed to be designers. Our Maker has amazing and talented people, you and I are among His marvels. But it is not how much a man knows that truly sets him apart, but how much he does with what he knows. This is true with the Scripture for no matter how much knowledge we have attained what is greater is the acts and good works we do with His Word.

Our hearts were designed to take what the head learns and through wisdom make use of His commands. We become wiser than those who spend all their time debating numbers and rations. God gives us the ability to plant seeds, water, and maybe even harvest His truth in other people through our acts of love, mercy, and compassion. See to it that you, like the Psalmist, hate every false way of life. You see it says hate the way of life, not the person who is living the life. You do not have to be happy with the way someone is doing something to still love them and show them the love of Christ. Truly understanding His Word will enable us to truly love His way.


No comments: