Thursday, September 13, 2012

Psalm 119:65-72

You have done many good things for me, LORD, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word. You are good and do only good; teach me your decrees. Arrogant people smear me with lies, but in truth I obey your commandments with all my heart. Their hearts are dull and stupid, but I delight in your instructions. My suffering was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees. Your instructions are more valuable to me than millions in gold and silver. Psalm 119:65-72 Your mind is a valuable tool retaining knowledge and gaining insight, but it is the heart which knows how to apply all things. Our Psalmist understands the importance of following the Word of God not with the whole mind, but with the whole heart. It is the essence of the person which chooses to either follow God or wander. We are all prone to wandering, after all this world is just a passing land in which we are all travelers. Unwise people cast confusion upon the truth and smear lies around to create doubt and unbelief. Even the most intelligent of people can have hearts devoid of truth and knowledge of God. Our writer is well aware of the power of influence and the important of suffering. It is good for us when we wander to face various trials for in those things we learn endurance and learn our way back on the right road. So valuable are the commands of the Lord, His instructions are greater than any sum of wealth. The Bible is the greatest treasure ever to be held and studied. The diligent student writes His Word on the heart, because it is not through mindless memorization we truly learn the Word of God. It is through life’s trauma, when we cling to verses given to us by the Spirit, we engrave His promises into our hearts through suffering. You remember pain but you also remember the blessings God gave to you through those seasons.

No comments: