Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Psalm 2:4-9

I hope you are doing well today. It’s the middle of summer and school is about to start up for many. Even Avery is in swim school for that matter. She is now a Flipper and will start up that class this week. It’s fun to see her grow. I look forward to every moment with her.

-----------------------------------------------------
He who sits in the heavens shall laugh;
        The Lord shall hold them in derision.
Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,
        And distress them in His deep displeasure:
“Yet I have set My King
        On My holy hill of Zion.”
“I will declare the decree:
        The LORD has said to Me,
        ‘You are My Son,
        Today I have begotten You.
Ask of Me, and I will give You
        The nations for Your inheritance,
        And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
You shall break them with a rod of iron;
        You shall dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel.’”
Psalm 2:4-9

We may have trouble finding the Lord to be one who can make a good joke or find humor in life. Actually throughout the Scripture we do find moments or words that indicate our Lord is very much one who does laugh and enjoys His people. I am sure he looks at me with a smile when I am being a complete goof.

In this Psalm we discover the Lord’s reaction to the world’s vanity. He laughs at the incredible absurdity of mankind to think they could be like God or replace Him. I am sure this grieves him as well, but in this context the Lord is coming against the darkness in this world with all His righteousness. He declares that His Son is King the whole world belongs to Him. This Psalm is noted several times in the New Testament relating to Jesus. For He is the King and He is reigning now on His Father’s throne, and will one day reign on the throne of David in Jerusalem.

Our Lord is a great amazing and awesome God. Jesus is the King, and in complete command of all things, yet still creates us to spend time with Him. He enjoys our company and our personalities. At the same time He is worthy of all praise and honor, He is also wanting us to reign with Him.

No comments: