Monday, August 13, 2007

Psalm 3:1-8

It’s hard when your baby is sick and you have to stay up with them throughout the night. Avery has an ear infection again so she’s not enjoying that, for some reason it’s worse in the evening. She is a good girl though. We love her. Pray for us though since we have not had much sleep. Work is hard enough when you have energy. 

David
---------------------------------------------------------------
    O Lord, how my adversaries have increased!
    Many are rising up against me.
    Many are saying of my soul,
    “There is no deliverance for him in God.”
Selah
    But You, O LORD, are a shield about me,
    My glory, and the One who lifts my head.
    I was crying to the LORD with my voice,
    And He answered me from His holy mountain.
Selah.
    I lay down and slept;
    I awoke, for the LORD sustains me.
    I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
    Who have set themselves against me round about.
    Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God!
    For You have smitten all my enemies on the cheek;
    You have shattered the teeth of the wicked.
    Salvation belongs to the LORD;
    Your blessing be upon Your people!
Selah.

Psalm 3:1-8
-------------------------

Even during some of the darkest days in King David’s life, he could praise the Lord and trust in Him as a protector. David’s own son and many of his officials rebelled against him causing him to flee Jerusalem for a while and hide in the desert. It was not an easy time but He found his hope in the Lord.

You read the first part of the Psalm in direct contrast to the second part. Though there is many enemies, the Lord is a shield. People are rising up against him, but the Lord raises us up even higher. They speak evil, but the Lord hears the voice of his cry. All through the Psalm you see the term “Selah”, we really do not know what that means. It is a common thought that it means for us to pause and consider what was just sung (this is a songbook remember). Think about each verse as you read it.

This is a Psalm of hope in our God who is our shield in times of trouble. He loves us and is there to protect us from the evil world. Our adversaries are not always human, often they are, but they can be many things. Sometimes they are assignments, or struggles with relationships. But no matter what the problem is, God is our shield in time of trouble. He loves us and we do not need to be afraid of what man can do. God is the God who saves.

No comments: